lunes, 10 de diciembre de 2007

The Chinese Language: Part I

the following is a collection of thoughts and interesting concepts that
I have discovered about the Chinese Language
中文: 簡而言之

- The following excerpt is taken from a book entitled Speaking "Of" Chinese which is an excellent read if you are interested.

The following phrase
wo(3) mai (3) shu(1)
may be translated as...

I buy books.
I am buying books.
I bought books.
I was buying books.
I had bought books.
I have bought books.
I have been buying books.
I will buy books.
I will be buying books.
I will have bought books.

"Chinese nouns do not have a plural or singular form. Again, Chinese speakers rely on context to prevent confusion. A time word can be inserted before the verb, as in the sentence Zuotian wo mai shu = Yesterday I bought books... " (Chang, Chang, 44)


Sources:
Chang, M., & Chang, R., (1978). Speaking “of” Chinese. New York, N.Y.: W.W.
Norton & Company

2 comentarios:

Erin dijo...

*faints*

i'm so glad YOU're the linguistics major. and i'm just a lil nursing major who puts peoples heads in slings.

Gabriel Spiro dijo...

Agreed! I thought that Spanish was hard with its conjugations.